Monday, October 24, 2011

Teen Pregnancy

In case you haven't noticed. High school pregnancies are out of control. At my high school of 400, there were 17 girls pregnant in my junior year. Each of these pregnancies were celebrated, and I don't understand why.

"Congratulations!" "Oh you will be such a good mommy." "What will you name him/her" "Let's throw her a surprise shower!!" and on and on...

It makes me sad. That's really not the word I would like to use, but my spirit feels broken. It's not ok, and it should not be celebrated. I don't think we should condemn them, not at all. But I don't believe we should treat them the same way we treat a married couple who is actually trying to start a family.

I am proud of them for keeping their unplanned children, they are so brave. But I don't believe most should keep them, instead they should put them up for adoption. Most teen mothers don't even really take care of their babies, their parents do and I think that is so wrong.

The cause of all this, I believe, can be attributed to one show. It amazes me that one 30 minute show can change a generation. 30 minutes. That's half the time of one of my college classes. That's less than the typical school assembly time. I really don't think anyone can ever give the excuse that they don't have time to make and impact on someone. I wonder what would happen if every teacher, presenter, and public speaker implemented the shows tactic's, how different this generation would be and how well educated they would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment